Fresh and sweet and using tart blood oranges to create a delicious easy to make tart. We’ve made individuals but you could also make one larger one to be sliced.
- FOR THE BLOOD ORANGE CURD
- 2 blood oranges, juice and zest
- 100g caster sugar
- 50g butter
- 3 eggs
- TO SERVE
- 1 sheet puff pastry
- 1 beaten egg
- 75g mascarpone
- 2 blood oranges, sliced
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
- Place the orange zest and juice in a saucepan with caster sugar and butter. Heat gently to melt the butter
- Once all melted, whisk in the eggs, turn up the heat, and then whisk continuously for about 10 minutes.
- When the curd has thickened pass through a fine mesh sieve and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Take a sheet of puff pastry and cut rounds from it. Brush lightly with beaten egg and score a frame within the circle. Bake for 20 minutes or until puffed and golden.
- Mix a a few spoons of the orange curd with the mascarpone until smooth.
- To serve, press the flaky pastry in the centre of the circles down and dollop with the mascarpone and blood orange curd. Arrange slices of the blood oranges on top, sprinkle with a little caster sugar and gently blow torch them to caramelise the orange slices.
- Optional: we scattered fresh time for something green.