Best friends carrot cake and cream cheese are fully celebrated when they meet salted caramel!
- For the carrot cake base:
- 50g sultanas
- 3 eggs
- 100g golden caster sugar
- 75ml vegetable oil
- 15ml runny honey
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 125g self raising flour
- 100g carrots,grated
- 85g chopped pecans
- For the caramel cheesecake top layer:
- 600g cream cheese
- 100g icing sugar
- 285ml double cream
- 200ml salted caramel
- Preheat your oven to 180ºC/350ºF/gas mark 4 and grease and line a 20cm spring-form tin.
- Place the sultanas in a bowl and pour over boiling water to just cover. Leave them for around 10 minutes to hydrate.
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk together the eggs and sugar, then add the oil and mix thoroughly. Add the honey and spices and mix again, before pouring in the sultanas and any remaining juice from the bowl.
- Sift the self-raising flour into the wet ingredients and fold through until just combined. Stir in the grated carrot and chopped pecans, then pour the mixture into the prepared cake tin. Bake for 35 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean and the top of the sponge is lightly browned. Remove from the oven and cool in the tin.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, beat the cream cheese and icing sugar until smooth. Pour in the double cream and beat again to ensure there are no lumps and continue until thickened. Spoon it over the carrot cake layer and use the back of a spoon to smooth the mixture out. Add the salted caramel and spread it out over the top, mixing it in with the cheesecake mixture a little to make it pretty. Refrigerate overnight to set.
- Remove from your fridge when set and allow to stand to warm slightly before cutting into slices to serve. I decorated mine with a few extra pecans.